Basic tools that every writer needs

Recently, someone asked me about what content tools I use as a writer. It made me think. My first impulse was to say, “I don't use any”. But luckily I took my time to think and realized everything that helps me write is a tool. Nothing fancy, just the basics - these are the tools that I use during my writing process. Here’s what works for me.


Image Source: Though Catalog via Unsplash


Google Docs - For years, I wrote articles on MS Word. So I was a little reluctant to write on Google docs. But now I love it. All the work is saved in the drive. Even if the laptop stops working (has happened way too many times), I can access my rough drafts, which I couldn’t while working with MS word. I use Google Docs to write, sketch outlines, maintain writing guidelines for each client, collaborate with editors and share files. It is much easier to keep track of edits, comments, and suggestions as opposed to the Track Changes feature in MS Word. Another feature that I discovered very late was that I can download the docs in not one but seven file types including docx (MS Word) and pdf. Also, did you know it also supports voice typing?! Google Sheets - I rely on Google sheets to keep track of my deadlines, pitches, emails, payments, monthly spends and invoices. Notes App (iOS) - To write down ideas, research notes, reference links and scan documents. It is easy to sync across all devices in the Apple universe so I can go through my notes irrespective of the device I’m using. I'm also exploring Notion for note taking but still a noob in that department. Piktochart - To create simple infographics. There are quite a few free templates available on Piktochart. And it is very easy to use, save and download. Plagiarism Checker - Small SEO Tool’s plagiarism checker is very handy. Unsplash - For copyright-free images for blog-posts, if I don’t have my original pictures. Like for this post I used this picture. You’ll find stunning images over there for almost every content idea/prompt. Remember to always credit the photographer of the picture. Weird Habit - Whenever in doubt, I check the arrangement of certain words/phrases on Google News. Helps me understand if I’m using the right words in the right context. And it also tells me if it has already been used several times. For instance, I might feel that a certain title is very unique. But when I search it on Google news, I realize that the title is not so unique after all. Research Tools - Besides Googling ideas and reading 100s of articles, I also dig through the podcast app, YouTube, Reddit, Twitter and book previews on Amazon (or any other platform). These are particularly useful when I have to write brand stories or entrepreneur profiles. You’ll find tons of personal interviews of founders, and creators that offer true insights about successful businesses, failed ideas, challenges, struggles, etc. The best tool for a writer is reading. Read as much as you can. I wouldn’t have become a writer if not for my love for books. But you can read whatever you like, not necessarily books. Just consume good content. Sign up for writers’ specific newsletters. Read articles on platforms like Medium. Follow literary accounts on Instagram. Join good subreddits for writers on Reddit. Fill your feed with tweets from editors, writers, authors and publishers on Twitter.


Comments

Popular Posts