First Online Video Job Interview Via Zoom




I wiped the sweat dripping from my forehead
Wiped it again five seconds later
Threw the towel out of my sight
Then worried how will I wipe the sweat in the full glare

Pushed all the mess in one corner
Pulled the curtains to hide the stain
Positioned the chair to hide the unmade bed
And mounted the laptop on a stack of books to conceal the triple chin

Sound check done
Camera check done
Microphone check done
Triple chin check - never mind

Yet, I was unable to hide my nervousness of being on a video call
I couldn’t pull the curtains on my awkward interview face
I forgot to check my unfiltered thoughts
I failed to explain my work process

How could I say that I freeze on camera
How could I summarize my chaotic journey in a few seconds
That I find extended eye contact unnatural 
And the silences even more discomforting

Another opportunity lost
Another failed attempt
Days filled with could've, should’ve
And the anxious wait


Comments

Popular Posts