Finding it difficult to read in the lockdown? You are not alone. (Tips to overcome reading slump)

The Guardian reported that people are reading more books in the COVID-19 lockdown and that average hours devoted to reading has also doubled!

But that was not the case with me. I just kept staring at the pile of unread books. I would read and then re-read the pages without absorbing the words. It used to be therapeutic but I have been feeling too anxious in the last few months, making it impossible to read. 

Siora Photography via Unsplash
Via unsplash

If you feel the same way, you are not alone.

These are difficult times. Our mind is hyper-vigilant and on-alert all the time. We are trying to adjust to the new normal. So not able to read a whole book is understandable. 

Here are tips to overcome the reading slump. 

1. Quit the idea of a 'perfect reader'. I like closure so I struggle with abandoning books that I don't like or doesn't fit my current mental state. I force myself to continue reading a book, so I end up not reading at all. I decided to let go of this idea. I abandoned the book I was reading, ordered three new books and now I'm enjoying a fresh new book! You can do that as well. Whatever is your idea of a perfect reader, retire it temporarily and adopt a new reading pattern. 

2. Listen to an audio book. When the act of physically reading words feels strenuous, listening to words might help. Also, it allows you to be flexible, like you can finish a book while driving or cleaning. I agree, audiobook is not everyone's cup of tea. So try a free resource first and see if it works for you. Bookriot has an entire list.  I remember I was averse to the idea of reading an ebook or on Kindle. But my Kindle broke earlier this year and I'm missing it terribly. So stay open to different formats of books. 

3. Switch to different forms of content. Don't have enough energy or mental capacity to read a 500-page book? No problem! Pick up a magazine. Consume content on YouTube. Read short stories, or long-form essays. Listening to podcasts worked amazingly well for me. So far, I have listened to true crime podcasts like Serial, Accused, and In the Dark. Currently I'm listening to The Moth and thoroughly enjoying it. Remember, it is our love for stories that matter. The platform shouldn't matter. 

4. Drop out from all the reading challenges. Sometimes the pressure of succeeding in a challenge can be overwhelming. The constant reminder of failing at a challenge during a slump, even if it's a harmless reading challenge, can push people further in the dark. You don't need the pressure of competing. Bow out of the competitions and read at your pace, for yourself, just for peace and fun. 

5. Reach for guilty pleasures. Define what's 'comforting' for you and read that. It could be re-reading books from your childhood or teens. It could be reading YA or coming-of-age-books (ME!). Some find solace in reading about zombies, vampires, bloodshed or dystopia. And some find it in reading about a perfect murder. 

Do what brings you joy! If you don't feel up to reading, that's absolutely okay. Books aren't going anywhere. Stream movies, bake, watch ASMRs (highly recommended for anxiety), declutter or simply watch paint dry. Just don't be hard on yourself. 2020 has been hard enough. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts