DIY Bookmarks


Reading still evades me. I have been reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker off and on. Sometimes I read three chapters, sometimes just one. But the reading slump hasn’t stopped me from thinking about books. I browse through Goodreads, Amazon, add books into the cart, read reviews and then close all the tabs before I make any impulsive purchase.

On a boring Sunday, I felt like making bookmarks. Nothing fancy, just simple ones with whatever I have.




The idea of making bookmarks came to me a few months back when I listed some of my owned books on Amazon to sell. I like buying/receiving books with a bookmark. That’s why I thought that I should insert one in each of the books that get sold via Amazon.

Back to the present - this is how my little DIY project started. I had an old beautiful wedding invitation card, which had a white paper napkin dress and a black suit with bow-tie cut-outs. I cut out both the shapes from the card. The paper napkin dress was beautiful in itself to be used as a bookmark. I just trimmed the edge of the dress so that it slips easily between the pages without peeking out.  I glued the suit in the centre of a red rectangle paper, cut from the invitation card envelope. I wrote ‘Books’ at the top, and ‘Everyone’ at the bottom so that it reads as ‘Books suit everyone.’ Lame, I know. Lol!



I recycled old pieces of jewellery to make the other two bookmarks. For one I used a heart shaped locket that I glued on a paper clip. And for the other I made a bead ring and braided a silk thread around it.

Were they perfect? No! Immediately after writing on the bookmark, I realized it should have been in the centre. None of the bookmarks look perfect. But I enjoyed the process. It was a relaxing activity. And I would like to make a few more.




Comments

Popular Posts