Book Review: Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

My Thoughts On The Book 'Purple Hibiscus' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I think I’m in love with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s writing and with the stories of Nigeria. She has easily become one of my most favourite writers, which is rare because I never could answer the question ‘Who is your favourite author’. I had favourite books but not authors because I felt I’m not qualified to answer this question unless I have read all the books of a writer or I like one book of theirs but not the others.



I have read Americanah, Half of a Yellow Sun and The Thing Around Your Neck. Loved all three. The fourth Adichie book I picked up was her first novel – Purple Hibiscus – the one that I’m going to talk about here.
_____________________________________________________________

Set in post-colonial Nigeria, Purple Hibiscus lets you enter the life of Kambili, a fifteen year old girl living in Enugu, Nigeria. Through her eyes, we are introduced to her life of privilege, courtesy her father Eugene, a wealthy businessman and a staunch Catholic. Kambili, her mother Beatrice and her brother Jaja are often at the receiving end of physical abuse meted out by the religious fanatic Eugene.

Their life dotted with wealth and violent outbursts begins to change after Kambili and Jaja go to live with their aunt Ifeoma for a few days in Nsukka. Ifeoma - Eugene’s sister and a lecturer at the University of Nigeria - is a widow with three kids, Amaka, Obiora and Chima. During their visit, Kambili and Jaja are amazed by how different is Aunty Ifeoma’s modest household. The initial signs of differences were the obvious ones – the size of the rooms and the food on the plate. But then they notice the other differences. How the kids were allowed to fearlessly debate with their mother, how they laughed openly (and frequently), and how they had more freedom in this tiny house compared to the suffocating silence of their lavish house back in Enugu.

The political unrest runs parallel to the turbulence in both the households – Enugu and Nsukka. As the story progresses, we see how each of the characters deal with the waves of change.
_______________________________________________________________

This is a remarkable debut novel. Adichie’s writing did mature with each of her books and I wish I had read her work chronologically. But it is clear that she had mastered the art of pacing right from her first work of fiction.

She wastes no time or words in droning on about the unnecessary details. The lines are crisp and concise. And the language is smooth. It is easy to get absorbed in the story. I found myself tightening my wrists and holding my breath at some places because it hovered so close to the reality.

Adichie's writing inspires empathy quite effortlessly. It was interesting to discover why Eugene did what he did, why Beatrice tolerated the abuse, what finally pushed Jaja to show signs of resistance & rebellion and what Ifeoma will have to leave behind to guarantee  a better life for her kids. Witnessing Kambili's transformation - from a shy girl who never uttered a word to a girl who found her way through love, intimate interactions and tragedy - was beautiful. 

Please pick up a copy!

Comments

Popular Posts