Therapeutic cooking and music for soul

I’m struggling with my reading, writing and life in general at the moment. Few days back as I was thinking of ways to heal/calm myself, I realized that once upon a time I used to like cooking as well. Not the everyday cooking where it seems like a chore, a job - something that I must do. It was an activity that I did of my own free will, albeit rather occasionally.


Photo by Katie Smith on Unsplash

Trying out new dishes, experimenting in the kitchen, scrounging hard-to-find ingredients and replicating recipes was so much fun. It also led to several disasters (now funny). 

Like one time, I burned a wooden table while baking a cake and using an OTG for the first time!! We were waiting for the sweet smell of cake to fill up our house. But instead it was filled with the burning smell of wood. LOL! For the same cake, I needed vanilla essence. But my local store only had pineapple essence. I thought how much difference it would make if instead of a few drops of vanilla, I use a few drops of pineapple? Not much, right? Turns out, it makes a huge difference!!

Another time, I bought fresh pomfret fish from the market to make tandoori pomfret. I followed a recipe from the famous chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s book that had listed out ingredients for 2 fish. I very confidently marinated the fishes and declared in my house that today I’m going to feed you’ll an amazing fish dish. The confidence dropped to zero when I fried it as it didn’t look as I had expected. I quickly ran towards the book and reread the recipe. In my hurry I had skipped reading ‘2 fish (each weighing 300 grams)’ in the recipe. I had bought the smaller ones from the market that were probably 1/3 the size the recipe had asked for. Since, I had not adjusted the recipe as per the weight and instead focussed on the number of fishes, the end result was bad! Fortunately, my mom’s quick wit saved the day. We washed off the marination from the rest of the fishes and fried it the usual basic way (by slathering ginger-garlic-chillies paste, salt, lemon juice, turmeric)

But yes, I still had fun in spite of the trial and errors. For some reason, I stopped experimenting 2 or 3 years back.

Now I’m trying to get back to cooking for its therapeutic effect. Today, I cooked onion pakoda (fritters). Yesterday, I had made egg bhurji (masala scrambled eggs with onion, tomatoes, chillies and dry spices). And the day before that, I had made a chicken curry. All basic stuff, nothing fancy. But the objective is to cook regularly, even if it is just good old tea.

Ah yes, listening to violin, piano and cello is nurturing my soul too. I wrote this blog-post while listening to Amelie and La La Land’s piano, violin cover. It is so beautiful. And so soothing. I particularly play these four on loop, for those interested:







Until next time!

Comments

Popular Posts