Of days when a book lover can’t read


The first six months of the year 2018 has gone by and I am stuck in the dreaded reading slump. I have only read 11 books so far.

Photo by Lacie Slezak on Unsplash

I always felt grateful about the fact that reading is what I love doing. It is the least restrictive and very accommodating hobby. Books don’t leave your side. And it would take many many years to run out of books to read. You can read books even when you are physically weak to hold it with the help of audio books, ebooks.

But then you come face to face with a reading slump. When everything seems fine but you just can't pick up a book and read. Where you start reading a book but forget all about it for days, sometimes weeks or months. When you read the same page over and over again, but nothing makes sense.

It is usually related to one’s mental health. A Kindle can come to your rescue when you want to read at midnight and you have to keep the lights off. But nothing can help, if your mind is not at peace. Because reading requires one thing – a present state of mind.

It is frustrating and confusing that a thing that usually gives you so much peace, joy and satisfaction, doesn’t help when your mind shuts off. I also feel like a fraud calling myself a reader or a book lover, when I read so less. Especially when I see other readers knock off 50 or 100+ books on their to-read-list. 

I know it is a phase. And it will go away. That I would pick a book soon and get absorbed in the fictional world created by a writer. Until then, I can only wait. And buy more books, maybe? Haha..

Does anyone else goes through a reading slump? How do you come out of it? 

Comments

Popular Posts