Book Review: Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding

They say it’s never too late. But I think sometimes it is too late to read certain books. That’s what I felt like while reading Bridget Jones Diary.



The novel was published in 1996. 22 years ago! And I read it in 2018. In the interim, many novels were published that have the same plot-line, character sketch, subplots and challenges. And I have read those books. Because of which I wasn’t particularly impressed by Helen Fielding’s book. Though, can’t blame the book or the author. It just is a replicable book. 

For those who haven't read it, here's the summary:

The book chronicles the life of Bridget Jones, who constantly whines about her weight and gushes over her boss, Daniel Cleaver. With her heart beating for the caddish and flamboyant Daniel, she ignores Mark Darcy, a successful lawyer who comes across as stern, nerdy and awkward. But throughout the book, she keeps bumping into Mark. In between this predictable love-triangle, you get to meet Bridget's parents, and her friends. The ending seems rushed and none of the characters are well sketched out. 

Not all books are like the Harry Potter series. It is never too late to read Harry Potter. It was published in 1997. And I read it for the first time in 2017! Yes, 20 years after it came out. Yet I loved each of the 7 books cover to cover. The books have aged well, they appeal to every age group and are not easy to replicate.

Although, I do understand why Bridget Jones became so popular and climbed at the top of the bestsellers list when it first came out. The epistolary narrative in the form of diary entries is unique and interesting. Bridget is relatable. And some bits are funny. 

But I didn't work for me. 

_____

Title: Bridget Jones Diary
Author:  Helen Fielding
Publication: 1996
Language: English
Pages: 288
Rating: 2/5


Comments

Popular Posts